Nothing beats a good smoothie to start your day. They’re filling and really easy to make!
What’s in my smoothie?
- Frozen fruits (2 cups)
- Cranberry juice (1 cup)
- Dark chocolate (1 ounce)
- Chia seeds (2 tbsp)
- Almonds (1 tbsp)
- Cashews (1tbsp)
I don’t really measure much but the measurements above are my rough estimates. I add more juice if necessary and if I’m out of juice I use almond milk.
Berry smoothies are one of my favorites since I’m not much of a sweet tooth and would prefer something more tarty. If you’re in Cebu, get my frozen berries from Landers Superstore since I find they have the most affordable bag of frozen berries in the city. Then, I add the rest of the ingredients and run the blender! Most of the time, I throw in a frozen banana or two to add to the creamy and smooth texture. Helps make it thicker, too, since smoothies are generally not as creamy because of its base liquid. Shakes are creamy since they primarily use yogurt or milk.
- Berries– Helps protect your DNA and heart; sharpens your mind; helps control diabetes complications.
- Bananas – Helps with blood pressure; increases energy; improves digestion; cures heartburn.
- Cranberry juice – Helps with bladder health i.e. UTI and kidney stones.
- Dark chocolate – Helps improve blood flow; improves brain function.
- Chia seeds – Super food alert! Helps with diabetes; increases energy; improves bone health; helps with metabolism; helps regulate blood sugar.
- Almonds – Helps with blood sugar, blood pressure, and cholesterol.
- Cashews – Helps diminish frequency of migraines; lowers blood pressure; improves cognitive ability
I’m no nutritionist but if you’d like to look up specifics and each of their other benefits, check out www.whfoods.com. It’s not the best site to navigate through but they have a great list of foods and their respective health benefits. It’s a great way to start learning about what you put inside your body!
Smoothies aren’t just great for breakfasts, but are also great snack ideas! Watch my video above to see how I make my smoothies.